For third party promoters

If you put out advertising about a candidate, party or election issue, but are not a candidate or party yourself, you're a third party promoter. Learn the rules you must follow when you advertise and campaign during an election.

All your advertisements must include your name and address, so people can see who's promoting them.

You'll need to register with us if you spend, or intend to spend, over $14,700 (including GST) on election advertising during the regulated period (generally three months) before a general election or the regulated period for a by-election (from the day after the notice of vacancy is published up to election day).

If you're registered, there's a limit on how much you can spend on advertising.

You're also responsible for keeping a record of your expenses. If you spend over $100,000, you'll need to report your expenses to us after the election.

If you're a publisher such as a newspaper that's just publishing an election advertisement that someone else is promoting, you're not a third party promoter.

Get in touch if you have questions about being a third party promoter.

Contact us

Back to top